Dr. Rainer Simon
Prior to my current position, I worked as a researcher and project manager at the Telecommunications Research Center Vienna in the area of mobile multimedia services and the mobile Web, with a particular focus on geographical applications for mobile devices, and as a systems architect for a major Austrian mobile network operator. My PhD thesis entitled "Mobilizing the Geospatial Web: A Framework and Conceptual Model for Spatially Aware Mobile Web Applications" (completed in 2008) investigated how the boost of innovation that Web mapping and mashup technologies had brought to the World Wide Web can be transferred to the mobile domain. It is available for download from the library of the Vienna University of Technology.
- Pelagios Commons. Pelagios is an international
Digital Humanities initiative that facilitates linking of online resources that document the past, based on the places
they refer to.
Find out more...
Funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
SELECTED PROJECTS (COMPLETED)
- Pelagios 3 2013-2015
- monitrix 2013
- Pelagios 1 & 2 2011 - 2012
- EuropeanaConnect 2009 - 2011
- Planets 2009 - 2010
- WikiVienna 2007-2008 (newspaper article, radio interview)
- Point to Discover 2005-2007 (article from GeoConnexion magazine, May 2007)
- Creative Histories - The Josefsplatz Experience 2004-2006 (newspaper article).
- MONA - Mobile multimOdal Next-generation Applications 2003-2004
- Winner of the Open Humanities Awards 2014, Open Track category.
- Nominated Project Developer of the Year with the Pelagios project at the JISC Geo Programme Awards, London, UK, November 2011.
- First Prize at the EuropeanaTech 2011 Hackathon with the CultureGlobe Demo (video, source code).
- First place at the 2nd International Nokia Ubimedia Mindtrek Award for the Point to Discover research project, at the Mindtrek 2008 Conference, Tampere, Finland, October 2008.
- Best Paper at the W2GIS 2006 Symposium, Hong Kong, China:
Rainer Simon, Peter Fröhlich, Hermann Anegg. Beyond Location Based - The Spatially Aware Mobile Phone. Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Web and Wireless Geographical Information Systems (W2GIS 2006), Hong Kong, China, December 4-5, 2006. Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 4295/2006, pp 12-21.
- Best Poster at the WWW2004 conference, New York, USA:
Rainer Simon, Michael Jank, Florian Wegscheider. A Generic UIML Vocabulary for Device- and Modality Independent User Interfaces. Poster Proceedings of the 13th International World Wide Web Conference, May 17-22 2004, New York, USA. pp 434-435. ACM Press.
ACTIVITIES & MEMBERSHIPS
- Member of the Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations (ADHO) Linked Open Data Special Interest Group.
- Member of the International Cartographic Association Commission on Digital Technologies in Cartographic Heritage.
- Advisory Board member on the SNAP:DRGN project.
- Programme Commitee member of the LocWeb 2014 - 4th International Workshop on Location and the Web held in conjunction with CIKM 2014, Shanghai, China, November 3-7 2014.
- Programme Commitee member of the EAGLE 2014 - International Conference, Paris, France, September 29-30 2014.
- Programme Commitee member of the CRMEX 2014 workshop, held in conjunction with the Digital Libraries 2014 Conference, London, UK, September 12, 2014.
- Programme Commitee member of the Workshop on Practical Experiences with CIDOC CRM and its Extensions (CRMEX), held in conjunction with the 17th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries (TPDL 2013), Valetta, Malta, September 22-26, 2013.
- Organization Commitee member of the Joint Workshop on User Generated Content for Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums (UGC4GLAM) held in Vienna, May 16-17 2011.
- Organization Commitee member of the Place, Cultural Heritage & the Internet Workshop held in Vienna, November 4-5 2010.
- Programme Commitee member of the LocWeb 2009 - Second International Workshop on Location and the Web held in conjunction with CHI 2009, Boston, USA, April 4-9 2009.
- Co-Editor for the Personal and Ubiquitous Computing Journal special issue on Mobile Spatial Interaction (Volume 13, Issue 4, May 2009).
- Organization- and Programme Commitee member of the Workshop on Mobile Spatial Interaction at the CHI 2007 conference in San Jose, California.
- Reviewer for Mobile HCI 2014, the International Journal of Geographical Information Science (2011, 2010), the Semantic Web - Interoperability, Usability, Applicability journal (2011), IEEE Pervasive Computing (2010), and Transactions in GIS (2009).
- Maintainer of Annotorious, an Open Source Web image annotation system (Video: Presentation at iAnnotate'13).